Windows installation instructions for Maud 2.67 and higher
After downloading the archive, unzip the Maud.zip and put the content (directory Maud) where you want to install it.
The directory should have the following structure:
- maud.bat (double click this to start Maud))
- lib (directory with libraries)
- licenses (directory with various licenses)
- plugins (directory to extend Maud capabilities)
- jdk (the Java Virtual Machine needed by Maud)
Start Maud by double clicking the maud.bat.
The following problems should not be present from version 2.84 or higher using the new Java 11. In case you find some, please check the notes below and post a comment.
First, if Maud does not start by double clicking maud.bat, most probably you don’t have a valid java version to run Maud. Please download Maud WITH java (the version “complete”). To check if you have the version with Java or without, check if in the directory Maud you have a folder named jre or starting with jre. If not present you downloaded the version without java.
On some Windows installation you may get an error message like:
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
The problem is due to the fact that java has no more the rights to create the Prefs key on the registry. But you can create it manually once and then there are no more problems.
Here are the steps:
- Go into your Start Menu and type regedit into the search field. Start regedit.
- Navigate to path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft
- Right click on the JavaSoft folder and click on New -> Key
- Name the new Key Prefs and everything should work.
- Where is the structure.mdb database? In the new version all these accessory files are located in your Home directory under AppData/Local/maud and another copy is in the Maud examples folder, located at: Documents/maud/examples.